Ericka Alston Buck
Special to the AFRO
Family, friends, and the broader theater community are urgently pleading for the public’s help in the ongoing search for 28-year-old Broadway dancer Zelig Williams, who has been missing for two weeks. Williams, known for his performances in Broadway productions like “Hamilton” and “MJ: The Musical,” was last seen on Oct. 3 in Columbia, S.C.

Credit: Richland County Sheriff’s Office via AP
Williams’ disappearance has sent shockwaves through the arts community.
His mother, Kathy McLaughlin-Williams, shared an emotional plea during a press conference held by the Richland County Sheriff’s Department.
“I just want Zelig to come home,” she tearfully stated. “He’s all I’ve got.”
After speaking briefly, she collapsed into the arms of a family member, overcome with emotion.
Williams’ car was found the day after his disappearance in an isolated parking lot near the Palmetto Trail, about 15 miles from downtown Columbia. Deputies have not ruled out any possible theories on the dancer’s disappearance, including foul play.
Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott emphasized that the department is using every resource available in the search. “We have used every means of manpower and technology that is available,” Lott said. “And we’re going to continue to search until we find him.”
Members of Williams’ family say that he stopped taking his prescribed medication, which they believe may leave him vulnerable or in a trance-like state.
His cousin, Mieoki Corbett-Jones, explained that Williams is the light of his family, particularly for his mother, who lost her two daughters in a car accident in 2004.
“Zelig danced for his sisters; that’s how he began,” she said. “He is dancing with his sisters in his heart.”
In a heartwarming tribute to Williams, fellow dancers at Southern Strutt Dance Studio, where Williams trained as a child, recently performed a dance in his honor.
“After they were done performing, they said they felt hopeful and wanted to share the same love Zelig gave to them back to him,” said studio owner Nancy Giles.
Giles recalled Williams’ journey from a bright 12-year-old eager to learn to a Broadway star.
“He had so much light about him,” she said. “He could make you laugh, make you cry and fill your heart all in one performance.”
Broadway star Hugh Jackman, who worked with Williams on “The Greatest Showman” tour, has also joined the efforts to locate him. Jackman shared a heartfelt message on social media, writing, “Zelig, we love you and are praying for your safe return.”
Private investigator Chandra Cleveland has been hired by the family to assist in the search, with a focus on tracing any recent interactions Williams may have had in local churches. Cleveland urged anyone with information to come forward, especially those in the religious community where Williams had been seeking a place to worship. The family’s press release highlighted that Williams was a “devoted believer in God” and had been exploring his faith before his disappearance.
The Richland County Sheriff’s Department is asking anyone with information to contact Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, where callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward. As the search for Zelig Williams continues, his family and the community remain hopeful that he will return home safely.
The post Search for missing broadway Dancer Zelig Williams continues appeared first on AFRO American Newspapers.